Split Air Flow Vertical or Horizontal 40mm Case

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Split Air Flow Vertical or Horizontal 40mm Case

Unread postby hominoid » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:10 am

I liked the paper case and the water cooled system that were presented here and in Odroid Magazine in the recent past. They were both great examples, one of minimalist design and the other of maximum design possibilities. They both inspired me to pursue a design I had in mind, something more practical for my application. A split air flow configuration using a single fan to cool both sides of the PCB. The majority of the airflow would be on the heat sink but some would also go under the bottom of the board. A system wide cooling approach of continuous airflow. Along with some system tuning, and as quiet as the Noctua fan is, I plan on running the fan continuously starting at 25% and upping the rpm quickly to maintain minimal temperatures across a varying spectrum of uses.
pin_case_endview.png
pin_case_endview.png (45.45 KiB) Viewed 469 times

The Noctua isolation mounts that came with the 40mm fan were used for the fan and as isolation feet in the vertical position. The gold universal northbridge heat sink was rotated for better SOC coverage and the required fin orientation for side mount cooling. A battery and UART holder was integrated under the top as discussed here and as seen above the USB3 ports in the photo below.
S1260024t.png
S1260024t.png (102.42 KiB) Viewed 469 times

S1260019s.png
S1260019s.png (43.86 KiB) Viewed 469 times

The nut holders double as feet in the horizontal position and help protect surfaces.
S1260016s.png
S1260016s.png (173.56 KiB) Viewed 469 times

Operationally the case design has performed as expected. It has very similar performance characteristics as a top mounted fan with the additional benefit of bottom side cooling. If run passively, the vertical orientation should help heat rise away from the system and minimize thermal pooling underneath. I have a couple of other tweaks that I would like to try in the future. Adding a raised copper perch of 2-5mm to increase thermal transfer and accommodate airflow under the heat sink. If I can get sufficient airflow under the heat sink it may increase the efficiency of SOC and support chip cooling. I might try some custom duct work to direct airflow better. The OpenSCAD case design file is attached for anyone interested.
**Updated 3/24/2017**
Updated design file XU4_Split_AirFlow_Vertical_Case_RC1.scad
XU4_Split_AirFlow_Vertical_Case_RC1.scad.txt
(11.39 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Updated XU4 Library file Odroid_XU4_Model.scad
Make sure you have the updated XU4_Model Library in the same working directory. It includes supporting accessories.
Last edited by hominoid on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hominoid

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

Re: Split Air Flow Vertical or Horizontal 40mm Case

Unread postby rooted » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 am

Very cool, I really like the minimalist design. Especially the fan mount feet.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:42 am

iv`e seen many of these custom cases and coolers and are great designs
but how does the end user buy these pre made to assemble..???
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: opp sys.. ubuntu ..c1+ ..c-2..xu3 ,xu4...
acc`s vu7,c-shell ,uart,hi-fi ,,hi-fi2,,show,w-board,6x16GB emmc`s 3.5 inch touch...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby rooted » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 am

phaseshifter wrote:iv`e seen many of these custom cases and coolers and are great designs

Should be able to print it at shapeways or a similar place.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:52 am

ok where is shapeways..sorry i`m down under..do you mean by using a 3D printer to carve it out..????
phaseshifter

acc`s vu7,c-shell ,uart,hi-fi ,,hi-fi2,,show,w-board,6x16GB emmc`s 3.5 inch touch...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby hominoid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:14 am

phaseshifter wrote:iv`e seen many of these custom cases and coolers and are great designs

Great question and one I have asked myself in the past. I thought the topic deserved a wider more general response.
hominoid

Unread postby ChicoDeGoma » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Did you use thermal paste between cooler and CPU or what thermal compound did you use?
ChicoDeGoma

Unread postby hominoid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:27 pm

I used thermal paste, Antec Formula 6. I had it from another project where I needed a hi temp formula. It's non-conductive and good to 250c. When I mount the heat sink I make sure it's not tilted by applying pressure on the heat sink directly above the SOC. You can feel if it's made flat contact. I'll also slide the heat sink around a little to make sure the thermal paste has complete coverage. I even pull the heat sink off perpendicular to the SOC and reset it once or twice because I've notices it's not hard to get small voids that aren't making complete contact on either the SOC or the heat sink. I look for a uniform pattern of peaks when separated. Any area that does not have peaks was not mating properly. I notice this happens if there is too much or not enough paste. Since it's non-conductive I'm not worried about excess but I definitely try and keep the paste to a minimum. I believe having to much is not beneficial. I'm idling between 32-36c, generally runs to the low 40-50's while busy in a 20-21c ambient temp. room. I've notice immediately after exiting Kodi it's usually around 42-44c then drops back down into the 30's.
hominoid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 am

ameriDroid.com already sells the Noctua 40mm quiet fan and the gold universal northbridge heatsink, and we also sell 3d printed parts for other projects. Therefore, we'd like to create a kit that can be purchased that provides this case plus the fan and heatsink.

We would love to have hominoid's blessing on putting his design together as a kit.
Ameridroid

Unread postby deafcat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:42 am

should swap that top plate for transparent polycarb! would look extra cool. Great looking design and concept, although unfortunately the cooling efficiency of the fan is going to be poor without a shroud to prevent pressure loss in the half inch gap there. even with the heatsink rotated so the fins open side is facing the fan, the sink and components combine to produce a tough wall of resistance to such a low pressure fan. integrate a cowling/shroud into this to maximize results... the most minimal approach would be a printed duct between fan and sink, keeping the rest of it "open"

but hey maybe it works fine enough as is right? if you did want more cooling that would be the way to get it.
deafcat

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C2, XU4

Unread postby hominoid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:28 am

The Case Kit sounds like a great idea! I do agree with @deafcat that further testing is in order first. It's a new design and I have not had all that much time running on it yet. My system load on this design has been very light so far compared to what many others are doing. I have not run it 24/7 or really loaded it hard for a long period of time. Ameridroid would be a great place to stage one and do some testing and it sounds like your in the process of doing just that. With all that said, there is plenty of room for improvements, customization and transparent polycarb tops.

I was concerned about interference of airflow as well. It was one of the reasons I built the XU4 model. The end view above doesn't have the heat sink in place so you can't get a feel for how much of the heat sink is open or blocked.
XU4_endview_2s.png
XU4_endview_2s.png (12.9 KiB) Viewed 384 times

I did consider moving the fan closer but wanted to get a better feel for how much room was needed to get my finger on the boot selector switch. The heat sink slides are another area that needs further testing. I have not had an issue with mine but it is a new idea (ABS Plastic) and I don't know how they will hold up over a long period of time, especially in higher temp environments. I agree that a cowl or duct along with locating the fan as far forward as possible, are early changes that should be considered. A removable cowl/duct might be best. It's not needed for a passive system which would benefit the most from the vertical design. Flexibility is key I think, allow people to set it up the way that is best for there application. My early indications are that this design is going to meet my version 1 expectations and if moving the fan forward helps, or any of the other tweaks I mentions in the post, I'd probably forgo a cowl/duct for aesthetic reasons.
hominoid

Unread postby phaseshifter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:50 am

@ameridroid that would be fantastic if you could offer such products pre made to the end user,
users see users want ....but as many users dont have the equipment to manufacture such projects..
phaseshifter

Unread postby hominoid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:40 pm

I moved the fan to 86mm. The PCB is 83mm, the boot selector switch sticks out 2-3mm. It is as close as it gets until I can print one out to verify everything. The geometric tolerance is tight here. FYI Ameridroid, the Noctua pin opening is 4.5mm, I used a 11/64 bit to clean the holes (didn't have the metric size). 3mm on the rest of the holes. I made an adjustment to the batt_holder() size, mine was a little tight. re-pull the library Odroid_XU4_Model.scad for the update

At the top of the first post is the updated case design file. I'll try a test print as soon as I can, see how everything fits.

Odroid_XU4_Case_v1a.png
Odroid_XU4_Case_v1a.png (47.45 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Last edited by hominoid on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
hominoid

Unread postby deafcat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:17 pm

a slot from below is a good way to access the boot switch with a tiny screwdriver. if the switch should be finger-operated, and no de-soldering is desired, the most elegant solution would be to integrate a moving part into the case design which flips the switch from the outside ;)
deafcat

Unread postby Ameridroid » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 am

We've printed up a first draft of hominoid's case in ABS plastic*. It's a bit of a challenge to find all the correct hardware to get everything to work correctly. Here's a picture of the prototype:

We found we were unable to mount the gold heatsink in the way referenced in the design because of the orientation of the mounting slots on the sides of the heatsink. With it in that orientation, we were unable to get the mounting arms lined up with the holes. Unfortunately, this orientation offers more of a wall to the airflow from the fan.

It would be nice to have beveled holes for the top and bottom plates as we prefer to use beveled fasteners whenever possible as it gives a cleaner look.

In addition, the bottom plate should have 6mm spacers integrated into the design where the XU4 mounting holes are located so that additional hardware/spacers are not needed and to simplify assembly.

The cooling fan/heatsink on the existing XU4 will have to be sacrificed so the connector can be cut off and spliced into the Noctua. The smallest fan connector supplied with the Noctua is too large to connect to the XU4.

* In case you're interested in getting your own 3D printer, ameriDroid.com is the lowest-priced seller of the Creality CR-10 large-format 3D printer in the US. We've recently added a CR-10 to our production build farm. Check here for more details on this printer: http://ameridroid.com/products/creality-cr10-3d-printer
Ameridroid

Unread postby hominoid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:54 am

I believe all of the issues you bring up have already been addressed in the original design. The exception is the recessed heads and there is a reason I didn't recess the heads, which is another topic. I wrote in the other thread regarding your question about displays other than model mode,

"At the beginning of the file there are configuration parameters, look for:
XU4_MODEL = 1; // 0=print mode, 1=model mode, 2=print mode+standoffs, 3=accessories only
set it to 0,2 or 3 appropriately. By default it is set to 1 for model mode which is the assembled model."

You apparently picked mode 0 and didn't look at the others. FYI, You have to select the mode and then recompile, render and then export your Stereo Lithography file (.stl) to change modes. I had setup the platters with and without standoffs and one with all the accessories. You can mix and match if necessary in your slicing program. The only other hardware you need are Qty 2, self tapping screws for the UART and Qty 4, M3x44mm screws and nuts. M3x44mm is the min size and I believe 48mm is the max if your using my feet/nut holders included in the accessory platter. The slides needed to rotate and shift the heat sink, and the UART strap are on the accessory platter.
Mode 0 and Mode 1
Platters_P0andP1.png
Platters_P0andP1.png (64.42 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Mode 2 and Mode 3
Platters_P2andP3.png
Platters_P2andP3.png (55.46 KiB) Viewed 305 times

I'm in the final testing of an updated design(its printing now) that fixes a couple of issues and includes moving the fan and a top and bottom enclosed duct. I will post a complete platter here with the design file when its complete. The platter will include everything you need to assemble except the screws above. You will just need to slice it and print. I will be posting it in the next day or two as soon as I finish printing, assembling and the test fit. It would make sense for you to wait for the updated design. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any other issues or questions moving forward.
hominoid

Unread postby rooted » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:25 am

How did the print go hominoid?
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby hominoid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:15 am

Bottom is done and everything fits great. The top is still going. The bottom duct completely seals against the bottom of the PCB. I reduced the duct after the SOC to hopefully increase pressure and velocity. Hoping it will help with drafting for passive and semi-passive setups. Added a conduit for the fan wire, that way it isn't impeding flow in the bottom duct. I had to decide whether to include the emmc in the duct or not. I decide not to because of the access hole. Also, the SOC and other chips produce most of the heat and keeping it isolated might help/be best. Not sure on this last point. Any thoughts? Any other ideas of things to change, improve or add before design final??
Duct-2s.png
Duct-2s.png (40.26 KiB) Viewed 295 times

The model looks good but since I don't know the geometric tolerance of the other parts (PCB, fan and heat sink), I tried to maintain .5mm or less than 1mm around the heat sink and components on the top. If there is an issue this is where it will be, I'll know soon enough.
Duct-1s.png
Duct-1s.png (20.34 KiB) Viewed 295 times
hominoid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:20 am

hominoid wrote:I'm in the final testing of an updated design(its printing now) that fixes a couple of issues and includes moving the fan and a top and bottom enclosed duct. I will post a complete platter here with the design file when its complete. The platter will include everything you need to assemble except the screws above. You will just need to slice it and print. I will be posting it in the next day or two as soon as I finish printing, assembling and the test fit. It would make sense for you to wait for the updated design. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any other issues or questions moving forward.

We'll print up the new case design as soon as you post it. Thanks for the explanations. Hope to delve into OpenSCAD when I have some free time.
Ameridroid

Unread postby hominoid » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:03 am

I have finished the changes to the XU4 Split Airflow Vertical Case. It has the following improvements:

Twin enclosed upper and lower ducts with re-positioned fan
    EMMC thermally isolated with access hole
    Fan cable conduit
    UART placement on either side (default above Ethernet port now)
    Solid back

S1270092r.png
S1270092r.png (83.09 KiB) Viewed 261 times

The updated design file XU4_Split_AirFlow_Vertical_Case_RC1.scad is located in the first post.
Remember to update the Library as well.

Stereo Lithography File of complete build XU4_Split_AirFlow_Vertical_Case_RC1.stl
XU4_Split_AirFlow_Vertical_Case_RC1.zip
(119.11 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

There is a significant improvement in airflow through the case from the prototype. Both the top and bottom ducts are working great and you can feel the airflow much strong than before. A couple quick sysbench tests showed lower temperatures as well so it looks very promising. There seems to be a reduction of noise, but that's subjective for now.

I was able to hold 1mm or less tolerance in the upper duct and the lower duct mates with the bottom of the PCB. Theres a small space at the boot switch.

Build Notes to make it easier to assemble.
Hardware needed:
2) self tapping screws for UART strap
4) M3 Screws 44-48mm long with nuts
For hole cleaning: Iso_pin_holes are 4.5mm or 11/64", All others are 3mm. It is important that the deck were the pins sit are clean and flat.

While squeezing the fan iso pins at the indentation on the cone. carefully feed the fan iso pin while gently pulling from the other side.
S1270036s.png
S1270036s.png (127.94 KiB) Viewed 261 times

Insert the fan into the top first. The duct is not as wide as the fan so you have to bend the fan iso pins down to the fan and then carefully slip it into position.
S1270039s.png
S1270039s.png (105.05 KiB) Viewed 261 times

Notice the UART and battery are in place. By coiling the UART cable now it will be easier to connect and be more manageable. Also notice the position of the fan cable. Locate the fan in the same orientation as the picture so it is aligned with the cable conduit.

S1270041s.png
S1270041s.png (116.53 KiB) Viewed 261 times

After inserting the fan in the bottom, route the cable as shown. The small portion of the shrink wrap seals the pass through hole, make sure you don't pinch the cable when you finish assembling. Afterwards lay the case on its bottom.

Carefully work the XU4 PCB into the case maneuvering the heat sink and aligning the top ductwork. Connect the fan, UART and battery cable. Insert the screws, check the alignment of everything and hand tighten.

It looks like Ameridroid is going to make a kit available with this case. Are there any other changes, improvements or comments from the community?
hominoid

Unread postby deafcat » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:52 am

Great work dude!!! awesome implementation of the revisions and quick too! Not sure what else to recommend without checking one out in hand, if the assembly performs smoothly and the cooling works well, I think it's a wrap!
deafcat

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:41 am

it`s hard too see but the only thing i can see is the size of the emmc access opening..maybe that needs to be enlarged or rectangled for easier access..thanks..phase...
phaseshifter

Unread postby hominoid » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:02 am

I thought the same once the first print was out and I could not get any finger into the hole. I'm thinking rectangular might be best because of the duct directly behind. I have thought of one other improvement that I'm working on now. After reading the posts in XU4 Heatsink without cooler (or low noise), I think getting rid of how the heat sink is held to the PCB, with spring pins, might help significantly. I'm working on thru bolting from the case bottom with integrated M3 nuts in the top of the slides, spreading the load across the majority of the PCB. The bottom duct which surrounds the SOC and support chips and a few well place stanchions should do the job. Should be able to put a lot more pressure on the heat sink without much risk to the PCB. The case deflection and/or cracking should act as a mechanical fuse against PCB damage. The other huge plus is it removes the last significant obstacle between the fan and the heat sink in the upper duct, the spring pin. I'll post when I have a working prototype.
S1260006s.jpg
S1260006s.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 185 times

The other thing I'm looking at is if increasing the lower duct size helps, or whats the best size. Any comments?? I attached a stl of an 8mm lower duct case and I hoping Ameridroid might do a side by side with the 6mm RC1 to shed some light on this question. unfortunately I only have one XU4 and it is hard and time consuming to do tear downs and builds between test.
Stereo Lithography platter of top and bottom only.
XU4_Split_AirFlow_Vertical_Case_8mm.zip
(130.28 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
hominoid

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:13 am

i think rectangular for the emmc is the way to go and bolting down the heat-sink is a plus as well..it can only lead to better thermal conductivity ...
but wonder if the need for some washers between might be a plus
you dont want to put a great deal of pressure on it as not to flex the board out
i do however suppose it is just a matter of how much tension the user puts on the screws for the sink
common sense does not always prevail..in such situations..thus having very small washers prevents over stressing the board..
perhaps tiny spring washers that would do the job..thus retaining the tension at a good pressure
phaseshifter

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:28 am

lower duct size ..hmmm...dont know if it is of any greater advantage..
however i often find the bottom side of the board should be considered as heat does radiate from there ..
we never see sinks or even air ducts like you have provided...larger maybe not shure if it is of greater advantage..

a micrometer if you have one at hand could be very use ful to guage the thickness`s required..
maybe a little over board but it would definitely tell you the thickness...required...

i am definitely getting one of these units but i have a different sink in mind..i will post some pic`s when i do get it..
phaseshifter

Unread postby hominoid » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:33 am

Air pressure (back pressure?) and flow rate is going to be driven by the size of the lower duct I believe and with that thought, there is a point where it is too small or too large?? 6mm was a guess/random starting point more or less.

The washer idea I have given a lot of thought to and I also think some precaution might be in order. But, I'm thinking between the heat sink and top of the board to stabilize the heat sink and prevent any shorting of surrounding components. I have a couple of ideas I'm pondering...The good thing is that no flex will happen at the holes because there won't be any contact there. The stress will be moved to the case back and the whole heat sink will now uniformly apply pressure to a much larger area. The flex I'm most concerned about is in the middle of the duct and the edge, by the edge hole, which is where some aerodynamic friendly stanchions should go I'm thinking?? This is also where the 45mm case thru bolts really help; they really uniformly solidify everything and are an intregral part of the design, especially with this mod.
Ameridroid I found these and these.
hominoid

Unread postby deafcat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 pm

I can check out the model re: duct volume design if you can output it to say STEP file or another good exchange format. I do my work in Inventor and import a lot of other formats.
deafcat

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:32 pm

so if i got it correct the heatsink bolts will be going through the base of the case assembly..[make shure you recess these mounting holes]..
phaseshifter

Unread postby hominoid » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:45 pm

deafcat wrote:I can check out the model re: duct volume design if you can output it to say STEP file or another good exchange format. I do my work in Inventor and import a lot of other formats.

That would be sweet but, no STEP output unfortunately and I don't think there are any other formats that are going to work, but I will take another look to make sure. I'm printing a 8mm duct size case to test over the next few days.
phaseshifter wrote:so if i got it correct the heat sink bolts will be going through the base of the case assembly..[make shure you recess these mounting holes]..

That is correct. The spring pins can still be used, this will just provide another option if someone wants to try different setups. There seems to be lots of people experimenting with different coolers and the mounting limits this endeavor. There are still issues that will take time to workout regarding the balance and proximity of the heat sink to other components. Also, there is enough material to support recessed screws for the heat sink thru bolt. I will take another look at the best way to incorporate recessed screws for the top. It is only 2mm thick and I will have to change the top/standoffs to gain more material for the recess. We'll see how it goes.
hominoid

Unread postby deafcat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:23 am

hominoid wrote:That would be sweet but, no STEP output unfortunately and I don't think there are any other formats that are going to work, but I will take another look to make sure. I'm printing a 8mm duct size case to test over the next few days.

IGES, STL or parasolid perhaps?
deafcat

Unread postby Ameridroid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 am

A lot of advancement happened on this case over the weekend. I'll be downloading the files shortly to print up the latest iteration.
Ameridroid

Unread postby hominoid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 am

It looks like STL, AFM, OFF and DXF are the choices. STL is the one that will probably work best from this end. Not sure on the implementation of the others. The zip file has a 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm STL to work with. Threw the 10mm in just in case you see something interesting that might call for it. Let me know if you need anything else. This is great!
XU4_Case_3D.zip
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
hominoid

Unread postby deafcat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:39 am

STL worked fine... So I'm thinking your 6mm duct is more than plenty for under the board, it lines up near the outside edge of the fan so it will get plenty of cooling under the PCB (the fan has the highest pressure near the outside)

Everything else looks great! even the round eMMC hole is fine since you can get the module in from the side then push it down thru the hole. Hadn't realized that was the intent before.
deafcat

Unread postby Ameridroid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:57 am

hominoid wrote:This is also where the 45mm case thru bolts really help; they really uniformly solidify everything and are an intregral part of the design, especially with this mod.

We've used spacers and through bolts on other case designs in the past (like the VU7 tablet kit), but we always end up using the threaded M3 hex standoffs in the end because it is SO much easier to build and modify. For instance, just the bottom plate can be removed without causing stability issues with the rest of the case.

Thanks for the links on the 40mm M3 hex bolts. The longest we carry in stock at the moment are 24mm, but we have something like 40,000 M3 hex nuts in inventory. :-)
Ameridroid

Unread postby phaseshifter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:59 am

just a passing comment if you will..some praise .i think that the addition of the uart and battery supports are fantastic..the whole project is great ..i await the final edition of the unit and will be ordering one from ameridroid once they are ready for sales

@ ameridroid there are 50 mm bolts listed in the links by hominid they are required not 40 mm as you quoted..
Last edited by phaseshifter on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
phaseshifter

Unread postby hominoid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 am

Ameridroid wrote:
hominoid wrote:This is also where the 45mm case thru bolts really help; they really uniformly solidify everything and are an intregral part of the design, especially with this mod.

We've used spacers and through bolts on other case designs in the past (like the VU7 tablet kit), but we always end up using the threaded M3 hex standoffs in the end because it is SO much easier to build and modify. For instance, just the bottom plate can be removed without causing stability issues with the rest of the case.

Thanks for the links on the 40mm M3 hex bolts. The longest we carry in stock at the moment are 24mm, but we have something like 40,000 M3 hex nuts in inventory. :-)

I hear you and understand. I use different setups for convenience, cost and availability. I thought of sizing the standoffs to be tapped, but production becomes harder etc. I had mode 0 in the design, which was only the top and bottom no stand-offs, for similar reasons. I started this with only my goals/needs to consider but that's changed so please let me know about specific production requirements. The main one right now, if I understand, is how the case goes together and I'm flexible.
hominoid

Unread postby hominoid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:26 am

deafcat wrote:STL worked fine... So I'm thinking your 6mm duct is more than plenty for under the board, it lines up near the outside edge of the fan so it will get plenty of cooling under the PCB (the fan has the highest pressure near the outside)

Everything else looks great! even the round eMMC hole is fine since you can get the module in from the side then push it down thru the hole. Hadn't realized that was the intent before.

Thanks for the work! It's hard looking at a picture of a model on the forum when you can't spin them around and take it all in context. It was the intent but more access room for the emmc is still a good idea. I did have to make it rectangular.
hominoid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:39 am

The latest iteration print has started. It should be done in about 2 to 3 hours. Then, assembly and tinkering. I should have something to report tomorrow.
Ameridroid

Unread postby phaseshifter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 am

@ AMERIDROID are you still going to go with the tapped 3mm hex spacers for your edition..i think that is a good idea easier access ..of opening either top or bottom ...
phaseshifter

Unread postby hominoid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 pm

@Ameridroid
Please let me know the screw size(3mm?), as well as the diameter and depth of the screw head you will be using for your builds so I can get the recess profile correct.
Also, What is the length of the standoff(24mm?) you will be using? Thanks.
hominoid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:48 am

phaseshifter wrote:@ AMERIDROID are you still going to go with the tapped 3mm hex spacers for your edition..i think that is a good idea easier access ..of opening either top or bottom ...

I believe we'll use tapped M3 (3mm) hex spacers for our edition.
Ameridroid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:13 am

hominoid wrote:@Ameridroid
Please let me know the screw size(3mm?), as well as the diameter and depth of the screw head you will be using for your builds so I can get the recess profile correct.
Also, What is the length of the standoff(24mm?) you will be using? Thanks.

Screw size is M3. Head diameter is 6mm with a 1.5mm depth (45 degree chamfer). The upper hex spacer/standoff is 28mm long assuming an 8mm spacer/standoff on the bottom side of the board. (40mm fan height - 2mm (bottom & top plate thickness) - 1mm (XU4 board thickness) = 37mm left for top and bottom spacers)

We generally use two spacers for the top riser so the spacing can be adjusted by leaving a small gap (or placing a thin washer) between the spacers
Ameridroid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:15 am

How do I print just the brackets for rotating the gold northbridge heatsink?
Ameridroid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:17 am

Here are some pictures.

Notes:
1) The eMMC hole is too small to put a normal-sized finger through to clip in the eMMC.
2) We haven't printed up the heatsink brackets that allow for rotation. So the heatsink in these pictures is not rotated correctly.
3) We haven't spliced in the appropriate connector into the fan cable yet, so the routing of the fan cable is approximated.
4) The RTC battery fits nicely in the included holder.
5) This case is printed in low-res in ABS on a Creality CR-10 printer for prototype purposes

Ameridroid

Unread postby hominoid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:40 am

Ameridroid wrote:How do I print just the brackets for rotating the gold northbridge heatsink?

I mix and match within my slicing software but here is an STL of just the NB slides.
Gold NB Slides.zip
(5.31 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

The total height is 41mm so the top standoff needs to be 29mm. If it is any help, I can setup a small standoff as part of the top and/or bottom to use injunction with what your doing. e.g. 24mm Brass + 5mm ABS part of top. I'm working on the recessed screws but I needed to increase the dimensions of the case to accommodate and if there is no ABS standoff I have to look at thickening the case as well. Regardless, just let me know if your going to use an integrated standoff of any size on either the top or the bottom. From your photos, you have the fan in the wrong orientation which is why the wire comes out the back of the case when it should be on the side of the case with the conduit and USB3 ports. Look at my build tips above, More later...
hominoid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:07 am

hominoid wrote:If it is any help, I can setup a small standoff as part of the top and/or bottom to use injunction with what your doing. e.g. 24mm Brass + 5mm ABS part of top. I'm working on the recessed screws but I needed to increase the dimensions of the case to accommodate and if there is no ABS standoff I have to look at thickening the case as well. Regardless, just let me know if your going to use an integrated standoff of any size on either the top or the bottom. From your photos, you have the fan in the wrong orientation which is why the wire comes out the back of the case when it should be on the side of the case with the conduit and USB3 ports. Look at my build tips above, More later...

Yes, a small integrated standoff on the top and full integrated standoff on the bottom would be great, and would easily allow the chamfer without increasing the thickness of the top and bottom plates. Designing for a 24mm brass standoff would be ideal.

Thanks for the pointers on the fan. We'll flip it around on the next build. :-)
Ameridroid

Unread postby hominoid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:26 am

FYI, Here's the change log up to last night. Please keep the feedback coming! As soon as you have finished evaluating RC1, I'll update the model with any fixes/suggestions and move to final release candidate 2.
Version 1a
Moved fan forward and reduced fan opening to 11mm
Fixed UART placement error
Adjusted batt_holder() i.d.
Version 1b
Repositioned fan and increased opening to 13mm
Adjusted Fan() thickness from 10 to 12mm
Fixed geometry error in fan_iso_pin mounting block
Increased case size to 41mm tall
Adjusted batt_holder()
Version 1c & Release Candidate 1
Added solid back
Added ductwork
Added cable conduit
UART placement either side
NOT RELEASED Version 1d *Future Release Candidate 2
Added Variable standoff height
Changed emmc access to rectangle
Added case back heatsink hold down & reinforcement
Added Recessed screw head option
Strengthened top duct walls
hominoid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:12 am

Mounted the heatsink and the fan in the correct orientations now. I think once the integrated standoffs are finalized, then we'll print up RC2 and test it against the other XU4 cooling options. Results will be found here: http://video.respectech.com:8080/log/results.html

My estimate is it will fall between these two:

Passive Northbridge Heatsink (Gold) ventilated by 120mm case fan
Effective clock speed under load: 1.79GHz

Active Northbridge Heatsink (Gold) with thermal compound ventilated by 40mm Noctua 5VDC fan @ 2.0GHz
Effective clock speed under load: 2.0GHz
Ameridroid

Unread postby phaseshifter » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:41 am

@ hominoid do you think that the underside cooling ducts should reach the whole distance of the under side of the board..only thing i can think of ..besides that it looks great..
phaseshifter

Unread postby rooted » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Ameridroid wrote:Mounted the heatsink and the fan in the correct orientations now. I think once the integrated standoffs are finalized, then we'll print up RC2 and test it against the other XU4 cooling options. Results will be found here: http://video.respectech.com:8080/log/results.html

My estimate is it will fall between these two:

Passive Northbridge Heatsink (Gold) ventilated by 120mm case fan
Effective clock speed under load: 1.79GHz

Active Northbridge Heatsink (Gold) with thermal compound ventilated by 40mm Noctua 5VDC fan @ 2.0GHz
Effective clock speed under load: 2.0GHz

Is the bottom row minutes?
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)