Which version to choose?

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr, wrxtasy, Raybuntu

Which version to choose?

Unread postby kanariepiet » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:34 am

Just received my Odroid C2 and installed the official Libreelec version onto a microSD card because my standard adapter don't reconized the emmc adapter so ordered a new one.

But maybe 2 very basic questions:
- Which version of Libreelec to choose??? the official one or one of the builds from the users over here?
What I want:
- Play FHD,4K rips en flac audio files from my Synology NAS
- auto resolution switching with seamless 23,976 Hz
- DTS master HD, HD audio, etc.
- Using of a Logitech Harmony
I don't use any tv headend or so just playing files from my NAS

- What are the best Kodi settings for the Odroid for best user experience en best possible video quality in HD and SD, I have a couple of years experience with Kodi but 10 mins with Odroid ;)
kanariepiet

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Which version to choose?

Unread postby Raybuntu » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:47 am

It doesn't really matter imho. You can switch around. wrxtasy's and my builds are including new features very fast without beeing obligated to feature freeze or anything but we also work close with LE official.

Pros fo community builds:
Quick fixes
Support from the developer
New cool features

Pros official builds:
Stability
Not depend on one developer that might drop support for personal reasons.
BTC: 13M7sUBpS9uVpo4mzukV9CH8HGg7vDUC7Y
Raybuntu

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Unread postby kanariepiet » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 am

Ok, thanks for your reply, I will try the different versions and will see what is the best for me.

What about the settings in Kodi, is there here a topic with the best possible settings to play all of my 1080 i and pfiles (23,976 and 59,97), some 576p movies for the kids and a couple of 4K movies???
kanariepiet

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby cathul » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:42 pm

I have the same question, but little bit different, i'm interested which architecture i should be used 32 bit or 64 ? My setup is watch 1080i/p IPTV with PVR Simple IPTV and HD video content from my NAS, also planed to use IR Remote Control
ODROID XU4 (NAS on DietPi) / ODROID C2 (LibreElec)
cathul

languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: C2 / XU4

Unread postby Raybuntu » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 pm

cathul wrote:I have the same question, but little bit different, i'm interested which architecture i should be used 32 bit or 64 ? My setup is watch 1080i/p IPTV with PVR Simple IPTV and HD video content from my NAS, also planed to use IR Remote Control

32bit has the advantage that you can reuse prebuilt armhf packages (maybe from Raspberry Pi) or packages that do not work/compile properly on aarch64 for instance libretro (retro games). Also some users like to use DRM services like Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky-Go in LibreELEC. They copy googles DRM library (libwidevine) from a chrome os recovery image and there is only armhf and no aarch64 available.
Raybuntu

Unread postby cathul » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Raybuntu wrote:
cathul wrote:I have the same question, but little bit different, i'm interested which architecture i should be used 32 bit or 64 ? My setup is watch 1080i/p IPTV with PVR Simple IPTV and HD video content from my NAS, also planed to use IR Remote Control

32bit has the advantage that you can reuse prebuilt armhf packages (maybe from Raspberry Pi) or packages that do not work/compile properly on aarch64 for instance libretro (retro games). Also some users like to use DRM services like Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky-Go in LibreELEC. They copy googles DRM library (libwidevine) from a chrome os recovery image and there is only armhf and no aarch64 available.

Thanks for your answer. But what about 64 bit ? Is it more usable for playing IPTV and HD Video ? (more smooth video playback or such other)
ODROID XU4 (NAS on DietPi) / ODROID C2 (LibreElec)
cathul

languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: C2 / XU4

Unread postby Raybuntu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:28 am

No it's not. I would say currently it's best to use a community build since we (wrxtasy and me) include more recent patches for smooth playback. It takes some time until those changes land in official LE 64bit. On the other hand official LE moght get more testing before release.
Raybuntu

Return to LibreELEC - Kodi Project